Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cleared For Take Off ( of the breast )

Within a few weeks of my breast cancer diagnosis it was decided I would need a double mastectomy. Not something a person wants to hear, but back in April with chemo starting and just wrapping my brain around cancer it didn't seem like that big of a deal. Well, I knew it was a big deal to lose both breasts, but it was all about survival so it was easier to take.
Here it is, six months later and reality is sinking in. I got the call from my surgeon while I was at work yesterday, we have set a date.  October 29th. Yikes!  That is just 3 weeks away. Due to the heart issue this date depends on me getting cleared from the cardiologist, but I had that appointment this afternoon.. All clear!  This is great news, I am looking forward to this time next year being able to put all this behind me, but.........I really need to start praying through Philippians 4:6 now. Be anxious for NOTHING, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving , let your requests be made known to God.
The surgery has me a little nervous, but not to bad.  The lymphatic mapping that I have to do the evening before has me pretty freaked out. I wonder if I can take a Xanax before that?  But the idea of going to sleep the morning of the 29th and waking up later sans breasts is what I am really trying to process.  I will be having reconstruction, so I am told that in 6 to 9 months they will be just like a younger version of myself, so I think I am supposed to be excited. I really am trying to look at the positive side of this and not be a baby, but I don't think I am doing so great at that.
The next 3 weeks I have another appointment with the reconstruction surgeon, chest x-ray, more blood work, another oncology appointment and the restart of Herceptin.  I will continue to work, and train the lady that will be filling for the 4 to 6 weeks that I will be out, and preparing for my dad who will be coming to stay with me and help with my boys.  These 3 weeks will fly by, and before I know it the day will be here.
Chemotherapy was rough physically, but something tells me I am now going to be heading into a time that will be harder on me emotionally. I am so thankful for the people God has brought into my life to encourage me through this.
I really want to make jokes about this.  I was a few months ago, I just can't remember them.  Feel free to comment with jokes, I promise it won't offend.

2 comments:

  1. No jokes I'm afraid...just lots of prayers and a reminder that whatever I can do please let me know. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the doctors cleared you & you can move on to the next step of the healing process.
    We love!

    ReplyDelete